Be it a guy in his late teens or a man in his 40s, both of them wants to showcase them as someone who is attractive, appealing, has a sense of style and even looks elegant. But a perfect skin demands a strict skin care routine that suits to the particular skin type and age.
And here most of the men fall down. They are really bad when it comes to skin care and sometimes end up with big blunders with their skin care routine. The following article is about mistakes that most guys do with their skin care routines and the corrective measures for it.
Men of all age dream of a perfect body and skin and even use all types of chemical laden products and natural regimens to look perfect. But it’s not so easy to have that dreamy look in reality.
If you want your skin to glow then you will have to put in a lot of consistent efforts by following a strict skin care routine as per your skin needs.
So, read on to know what are the common skin care mistakes most men make in their 20s, 30s and 40s.
Skincare Mistakes Men Make Every Day!
1. Using random skin care products
Most Men often apply skincare products which their wives, mothers or sisters use, without even knowing if a particular product is meant for their skin type or not. This sometimes leads to irritation or acne outbreaks which make the skin more sensitive. So, in future never ever use a skin care product without reading the labels.
2. Not applying the sunscreen when stepping out in the sun
Men often forget to apply a good sunscreen with both UVA and UVB filters when stepping out in the sun. Forget about a long vacation, they will never bother to use in routine.
But for all the men out there! Sunscreen is not meant only for the beach, it should be applied every day. Some examples of natural sunscreens are: Coconut oil, Shea butter, Sesame oil.
3. Not using anti-aging cream meant for their age
Most men end up using anti-aging creams available in the market which only ruin their skin and give no results. So, if you are using an anti-aging product, remember these two points. The first thing is don’t use anti-ageing creams which are just well-marketed products and don’t offer any real benefits. Second is you should refer to a dermatologist for finding the right medicated anti-ageing cream meant for particular skin type and age.
4. Ignoring the use of moisturizer
Most guys think that moisturizer would do no good to their skin. They feel it will only make their skin oily and thus lead to acne. But this is not true. Moisturizer is important to keep your skin hydrated. Moreover, it also works as an anti-aging regimen for your skin which helps to keep the skin supple, plump and makes it more elastic. You can use a moisturizer meant for oily skin, if excess of oil is your problem. But don’t forget to moisturize.
5. Dry shaving
Although dry shaving is a quick fix especially when you are short of time but continuously doing that would lead to skin irritation, rashes and ingrown hair. So, it’s better to use a good shaving cream that would prevent cuts and rashes on your face.
Now, you are aware how these habits which you have been following from years affect your skin so adversely.
Continue reading to find out what type of skin care routine you should follow to get a flawless skin free of any skin imperfections.
Know Your Skin Type
Before you get into a skin care routine it’s very important to know your skin type and its requirements and accordingly you can find what suits best to your skin. For example: if you have a dry skin, you should apply products that can reduce the dryness of your skin.
- Normal Skin
If your skin is neither to dry nor too oily then you have a normal skin type. Such a skin will have less visible pores, few blemishes or spots and is less sensitive as compared to other skin types.
- Oily Skin
Oily skin type is marked by enlarged pores, greasy skin appearance, prone to blackheads and acne. People with this skin type find a lot of oil over their face when they wake up in the morning.
- Dry Skin
Dry skin is scaly with red patches and blotches. People with dry skin often experience cracking and peeling. Also dry skin is less elastic than normal skin and often suffers from fine lines and wrinkles.
- Combination Skin
This is most annoying skin type which has a combination of normal, dry, and oily skin. The skin is dry on cheeks but you would find a lot of oil in T-zone (forehead, nose and chin).
- Sensitive Skin
Any skin type can be sensitive even. Sometimes using different products cause allergic reactions such as redness, rashes, swelling, itching and dryness.
So, once you are aware of your skin type you can choose a skin care regimen accordingly.
Our skin changes from childhood to teenage and then after 30s and 40s even due to environmental factors, dietary habits and even due to skin care regimens we follow at different stages of life.
So, we have come up with skin care routine that should be followed during different stages of life.
Skin care tips for men in their 20s
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen before you step out in the sun and avoid direct sun exposure.
- Moisturizing daily is really important to keep your skin well-hydrated.
- Invest in superior quality anti-acne products to get rid of blackheads due to teenage acne.
- Exfoliating is also important. Use a cleanser, toner and concealer regularly.
Avoid smoking, drinking, late night waking up, sunbathing and reckless eating during your 20s as it will affect your skin badly during later stages of life.
Skin care tips for men in their 30s
- Start using light anti-ageing products especially if you have been bad to your skin in 20s.
- Anti-wrinkle creams can also be applied in this age to reduce impact of wrinkles in 40s.
- Use products with peptides and antioxidants to guard your skin against harmful air pollution and UV rays.
- Use retinol before going to bed at night to make your skin youthful. Retinol can lessen spots and wrinkles, decrease pores and improve collagen retention.
- Exfoliating once a week can maximize the effects of other products.
Don’t neglect your skin in 30s and don’t repeat the mistakes you did during your 20s. This is a pre-aging stage where you will start seeing wrinkles and fine lines at a much faster rate than in your 20s.
Skin care tips for men in their 40s
- This is the time when aging can be clearly visible on your skin. So, you need to buy some serious anti-ageing products and even start caring about the neglected skin around your eyes.
- Eye cream is really important to be included in your daily skin care routine. If you don’t pay attention to this area you will notice deep wrinkles, pigmentation and bags.
- The moisturizer you use should also contain active anti-aging ingredients.
- Choosing Botox treatments to fight aging is completely your choice. A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants will serve the purpose. You can consume salmon, seeds, nuts, avocado and spinach for your dose of omega-3.
- Keep the skin fully hydrated as sebum production slows down by this age.
Give up smoking if you still haven’t left it as it will break down the collagen and dehydrate the skin, making your face look less plump and bouncy.