There’s no stopping time. And though most people desire to stay young forever, sadly, it’s just not possible. The best you can do is to slow down aging by getting rid of wrinkles, crow’s feet, and those other tell-tale signs that you’re not getting any younger.
Of course, you must do it the natural way. Going under the knife will not only result in an awkward artificial appearance but can also damage your financial savings. Commercial products are not any better. They’re packed with toxic chemicals that can take a toll on your health over time. Certainly, people say that the commercial products bought from store & treatments given by dermatologist are highly effective, however it could be extremely costly and are many times harsh on our skin. Also, there are many celebrity cases on web where you can see negative effects of commercial products on their skin.
Going natural with honey is certainly a smart idea. This popular go-to solution for aging is replete with skincare benefits that will surprise you to no end. In fact, it has been used for many centuries in many cultures. Cleopatra has been said to have used raw honey to preserve her youthful appearance during the ancient times.
What’s inside this sweet concoction?
Honey contains glucose oxidase, an enzyme that produces antiseptic hydrogen peroxide when added with water. It is also rich in flavonoids and antioxidants that are known for their antibacterial properties.
Here are some of the ways honey turns back the hands of time:
- Moisturizes – Honey works as a natural moisturizer, keeping skin dryness at bay. It’s especially useful during winter when the dry air affects the skin’s suppleness. As a natural humectants, the honey retains moisture in the skin without producing too much oil. Skin that’s smooth and supple not only looks a lot younger, but is also less prone to fine lines and wrinkles.
- Protects – A study conducted at the University of Bonn in Germany confirmed honey’s antibacterial properties. Researchers have found that when applied topically, honey can efficiently cure bacterial infection and clear wounds. Its healing qualities can be attributed to the hydrogen peroxide. Getting rid of wounds, acne and other skin blemishes can help preserve the skin’s youthful glow.
- Rejuvenates – According to the National Institute on Aging, unstable molecules called free radicals are among the leading causes of aging signs. And honey is one of the best defences against this, neutralizing the harmful effects of free radicals with its antioxidant properties. Honey can help keep the skin looking young, fresh and rejuvenated all the time.
- Nourishes – Honey doesn’t only work from the outside but also from the inside. Researchers from the University of Illinois recommend the use of honey as an everyday sweetener alternative to sugar.
Overflowing with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and flavonoids, honey is an awesome anti-aging food that pumps up the antioxidants in the bloodstream while boosting the immune system.
Although honey tastes sweet (and thus, can satisfy your sweet tooth cravings), it does not cause your blood sugar levels to spike the way that refined sugar does. In fact, it even stabilizes blood sugar, which is why it is the recommended sweetener for people suffering from diabetes.
On top of all these, honey can help in weight loss when used in lieu of sugar or artificial sweeteners, which have been known to trigger overproduction of insulin that usually results in fat production and storage. As you know, looking young is just half of the story, the other half is being fit and healthy.
Using Homemade Recipes
It’s no wonder honey has been used in many commercial skin care products including facial washes, creams, shower gels, body scrubs and more. It’s also gentle enough to be used in baby skincare products.
But as mentioned early on, the problem with commercial products is that they’re loaded with chemicals that can harm the skin and health over time. It’s for this reason that it’s better to go the natural route and make use of homemade skincare recipes.
* Honey and Lemon Facial Scrub *
Apart from honey’s fantastic skin benefits, you’d also want to take advantage of lemons. Lemon is a great source of vitamin C that lightens dark spots caused by constant sun exposure and evens out the skin tone. It’s also effective in shrinking pores and making the skin firmer and more elastic.
The other ingredients in this recipe—sugar and olive oil—also carries some perks. Sugar is a natural exfoliator that brings back a youthful glow by getting rid of dead skin cells. Olive oil, on the other hand, is rich in vitamin E, a natural moisturizer that soothes the skin and speeds up skin healing.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 slice lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Pour honey in a bowl. Squeeze lemon juice into the bowl. Add the olive oil and sugar. Mix well. Apply mixture evenly on your face. Gently rub it in to remove dead skin cells. Let it stay on your face for five to seven minutes. Rinse with cool water.
* Honey Avocado and Yogurt Face Mask *
Superfood avocado can in fact be used to brighten up your skin. This fruit is rich in fats that are a wonderful moisturizer. Lactic acid in yogurt, meanwhile smoothens the skin, reduces pores, and promotes the production of collagen.
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon avocado, mashed
- 1 teaspoon plain yogurt
Combine honey, avocado and yogurt in a bowl. Mix until the consistency becomes smooth. Spread the face mask on your face. Let it stay for about half an hour. Rinse with cool water.
Even during the time when honey’s benefits were not yet backed by scientific research, many people already marvelled at how useful this golden liquid is when it comes to caring for the skin. Now, there have been numerous studies to prove that honey is indeed a great way to keep the skin young and healthy. And it’s only right that you take advantage of its many fabulous skincare benefits.