Every girl wants a Superman, the problem is that so many of us guys don’t know how to make our profiles pop, many of us are coming across less ‘Superman’ and more ‘Clark Kent’.
If you’re tired of watching girls disappear into yet another wishful swipe right, then grab a pen and paper, take a sip of coffee and let’s turn your profile from Clark Kent into Superman.
There are two areas you need to be an expert in if you’re looking to get the attention of your Lois Lane, profile pictures and profile bios. If you can perfect your profile then you’ll have matches coming at you from the left, right, and center.
Step One: Your Main Picture
Your ‘front page’, your hook, your first impression, however, you look at it, the main picture on your Tinder profile it is essential. It can be the make or break between a girl looking further into your profile or swiping left.
So what picture works best? First of all, that picture of you shirtless from last summer surrounded by girls, as much as it seems like a great idea, it’s not. You might have the body of Hercules but all a girl thinks when she sees a shirtless picture is, “not another one of these losers,” and can you blame them? They can’t see your stunning personality in those abs, you just look narcissistic so keep your shirt on.
The perfect first picture is in fact, a clear, good quality, well-groomed picture of your face. It says to girls, “this is what I look like,” and if you follow these next tips then you’re bound to start making heads turn.
1. To smile or not to smile?
To smile or not to smile? That is the question.
While many studies have shown that smiling in your profile picture makes you seem friendlier and more approachable, the counter studies (and from experience) show not smiling actually makes you more attractive to girls.
The funny part is that when the same studies are applied to men, we find smiling girls more attractive.
2. Dress like Clark Kent to look like Superman
While girls will have different tastes in men one fact seems to be universal, girls love a man in a suit. Even if you’re not pulling out the three piece suit, you definitely need to look your absolute best, groom, dress well and make sure you’re clean.
3. Set the scene
While a selfie laying on your bed may be the easy option, it is not the right option. Find an interesting location, having the Eiffel tower in the background, for instance, will grab a lot more attention than having a supermarket there.
I would personally recommend trying to find an area of outstanding natural beauty as it gives undertones of adventure.
Girls are romantic creatures, so a picture with a beach or forest will be more appealing to them than a selfie from your bathroom (unless there is a serious six pack game being played there).
Step Two: The Other Pictures in Your Profile
While your first picture draws the attention, your other pictures captivate that attention so let’s talk about some of the best options to put the wind in your cape.
- Adventure, I said it before and I’ll say it again, girls love adventure. Any pictures you have of you doing fun and interesting activities will make you look adventurous. Mountain climbing, assault courses, diving into a pool in a Spanish villa… anything really exciting is a good choice.
- Avoid looking at the camera where possible. While it’s pretty paramount that you look in the camera for your face picture, you’ll want to avoid it for these where possible. Not only does avoiding the cameras gaze make girls find you more attractive, it can help avoid that awkward, “I’m posing for a photo, look how great I am,” look.
- Have as many social photos as you can. Taking selfies may work for the girls but unfortunately for us guys it just sends out the wrong message, it says, “I have no friends and no social life”. Girls inherently find men with social prowess attractive, so try and keep your pictures social.
- Don’t be the ugly one in the group. Even if you’re a decent looking guy standing next to a David Beckham look-a-like is going to make most girls just wish you were him. Always strive to be the best looking one in your photos.
- Dress well in your photos. If you don’t know how to dress well, then find a celebrity who looks like you and just copy their fashion, they have thousands being spent on the best stylists to help them look as good as they can. You don’t have to spend a fortune but looking good in your photos can have a massive impact on your success rate.
- Avoid photos with girls. It doesn’t matter if the girl in your photo is your sister, cousin or best friend; any other girl looking at that photo will think the same thing, “he’s probably slept with that girl”.
- Use cute to your advantage. Girls find paternal men attractive, unfortunately holding your baby niece makes it look like you’re holding your own baby and that can be a massive turn off for girls. Holding a puppy, kitten or another lovable ball of fluff gives out the, “I’m so caring and I’d make a great dad,” impression without bringing into question paternity.
Step Three: Profile Bio
Unfortunately for us guys, girls do in fact take the time to read our Tinder bios. Fortunately for you guys, I’m about to teach you how to turn your bio from zero to hero.
What Information to Include?
We all know that a little information can go a long way and so there are a few basic things you can include which will add value to your bio.
Height is one of those things that can either work in your favour or against you, the best rule of thumb here is that if you’re six foot or over then height will work for you, if you aren’t, I’d just avoid putting it in.
A job is, once again, something you can include and if you’re in a highly respected profession, should include. If your job is less than impressive then you can avoid adding this as well.
You want to keep your bio as casual as you can, so try to avoid oversaturating it with any more information.
What Humour to Include?
Every girl loves a funny guy, fact. Arguably the most important tools for converting girls to matches is your ability to make them laugh when reading your bio. So what are the best ways to make them laugh?
- Fake Jobs, if you didn’t put your job already then this is where you can make up a job that is blatantly a joke, professional thumb wrestler or professional high fiver are good examples of these. Anything that will put a smile on a girls face and that she can challenge you to is a good choice, that’s why the professional thumb wrestler works well.
- Girls love a well-accomplished guy with plenty of achievements under his belt, they don’t however like a bragger. Sarcastic and unserious achievements such as being able to eat a whole pizza to yourself or being the number two pillow fighter in the world are a perfect help avoiding coming off as cocky.
- Take the dating game unseriously. As before, sarcasm is your friend and satire usually goes hand in hand with it, making fun of the whole dating situation can earn you some serious brownie points, “searching for an experienced getaway driver”, and, “I love long romantic walks to the fridge,” are perfect examples of this.
Here are just some quick example bios using the advice above:
“6ft, professional pillow fighter currently ranked second in the world… I fluffed my chances of coming first. Looking for a well-experienced getaway driver who isn’t afraid to go on spontaneous adventures to the fridge”
“Full-time lawyer. Shakira told me my hips don’t lie and since then I’ve been looking for a dance partner worthy of my wiggle. My last girlfriend was Italian but I’m pasta now… sorry, that was a bad pizza humour.”
It’s as easy as that.
Follow these guides and you’ll be getting more matches in no time.